, Counsellor in Leicester
I work with parents, schools, and social services supporting Children and Adolescents using a range of play and creative art techniques which adapt to their needs; talking can be used but it is not essential to the process as with other therapeutic techniques. I work throughout Leicester, UK (LE4, LE1, LE2, LE3, LE6, LE5, LE7, LE8, LE18,).
I have been working with children & young people since 2000. Initially in nurseries, after school groups and Sure Start centres he went on to become a trainer / assessor in Early Years, Childcare in 2007 before being appointed Lecturer in 2009 to the same subject areas in addition to Health & Social Care until leaving in 2019.
I commenced Play Therapy training in 2015 through Leeds Becket University & The Academy of Play and Child Psychotherapy and am a certified play therapist, registered with Play Therapy UK (PTUK) and can be found on the PSA Register of Play and Creative Arts Therapists.
As well as the Postgraduate Diploma in Play Therapy (passed with Distinction), I also hold a Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Studies, and a Master of Arts in Education; which enabled me to be appointed a Fellow of the Society of Education and Training, with QTLS (Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills) status.
I maintain my professional registration with PTUK through a portfolio of CPD activities and is up to date with all the requirements for clinical supervision, information governance and safeguarding - including holding an enhanced DBS check.
Background & Qualifications
Post Graduate Diploma in Play Therapy
Postgraduate Certificate in Therapeutic Play Skills
PGCE (Teaching and Learning ) with QTLS
BA (Hons) in Early Childhood Studies
HNC & HND in Advance Practice with Children & Families
NVQ 2 & 3 Early Years Care and Education
Parent Child Attachment Play Practitioner (PCAP)
Using play and creative arts therapies to support children, adolescents , and parents, that may be dealing with a range of issues including:
- Emotional or behavioural difficulties.
- Attachment difficulties
- Find it difficult to concentrate & learn
- Have anxieties, or stress
- Are withdrawn or continually unhappy
- Argue frequently with peers
- Find it difficult to make friends
- Are dealing with parental separation, divorce, or conflict
- Have attachment issues
- Are dealing with a ‘life stress' such as loss, illness, or death
- Bully others / are bullied themselves
- Have developmental delays
- Are underperforming; Academically, Socially, Culturally.
Which also helps to:
- Reduced anxiety about traumatic events.
- Improved confidence and a sense of competence.
- Better able to form healthy bonds in relationships.
- Improved ability to trust themselves and others.
- Enhanced creativity and playfulness
Approach to Therapy & How I Work
I have a range of play and creative art techniques and interventions to support a range of problems, specific approaches include:
- Play and Creative Arts therapy / Play Therapy for children & adolescents between (4 - 16 years of age) and helps them to understand and process their feelings and past experiences; it working using a non-directive and child-lead way, allowing each child to use the safe space in their own way, at their own pace through a range of items including: Art materials, musical instruments, puppets, dressing up items and sand, miniatures, clay and many other toys are available to explore and express their thoughts and feelings through a warm, safe and secure environment. Observations and reflections are shared to support and enable them gain an awareness of their emotions and sense of self, and offer containment for their intense emotional needs and their concerns which in turn can help to develop a stronger understanding of self, and a better understanding of their world around them empowering children to cope with problems in their lives and increase their self esteem. This can be individual 1:1, or group therapy sessions.
- PCAP (Parent-Child Attachment Play ) is a form of therapeutic parenting / attachment work, which offers parents / carers the relational context, tools, ideas, resources and support that are universally needed to ensure the best outcomes for children, it is a gentle play-based approach which aims to improve the attachment quality of the parent-child relationship using child-centred non-directive play.
- Sand Play Therapy (for both Children and Adults) I hope to start providing this later in 2019
If you would like to find out more about any of these, or discuss how they may be of hep to you or someone you know, please do get in contact or take a look at my website: www.GrowingTogether.Solutions
Therapies & Rates
Please note the rates detailed below are there to give you an idea of the therapists standard rates, we strongly advise you contact the therapist for more detailed rates and any offers they may have.
|Counselling||In Person||£46 per 40 minutes|
|Arts Therapy||In Person||£46 per 40 minutes|
Contact David Website